[Reader-list] Fwd: Some good news
nagraj.adve at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 02:42:10 CDT 2014
Important mail from Chayanika Shah.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: chayanika shah <chayanikashah at gmail.com>
Date: 15 April 2014 12:02
Subject: Some good news
And here is one Supreme Court judgement given by Justice K S Radhakrishnan
and A K Sikri, that came this morning, that can warm our hearts and be
soothing balm for the troubled minds. It is in the context of transgender
rights. The main features as shared by Lawyers Collective who were fighting
Appears to be a fantastic victory!!
Here are the main points:
1. Recognition of third gender.
2. Recognition of people who identify in the opposite sex based on
self-identification. Includes female identifying as male and male
identifying as female.
3. Non-recognition of gender identity amounts to discrimination under Arts
14, 15 and 16.
4. Discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation and gender identity
amounts to discrimination on the ground of sex under Art 15.
5. No SRS required for recogntition of gender identity.
6. Persons gender identity based on their choice is protected under the
7. A series of directions have been given to the Centre and States based on
We will have more details as the judgment is available.
For more news go to facebook or
More information about the reader-list